View Single Post
Old 10-20-2002, 11:23 AM   #18
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Giancarlo DiPierro (G DiPierro) wrote: "Kihon waza" appears to be written the same as "kihon gi" except the first uses the kun reading of waza, meaning technique, while the second uses the ON reading, meaning skill. I'm don't know the full implications of each reading, but based on the translations I used in the last sentence, ouyougi makes a lot of sense as "application of skill," though ouyouwaza makes less sense as "application of technique." As I see it, technique is something that is always applied, and I would tend to think of it, especially in the sense implied by waza, as being defined as a "form or manner in which skill is applied."

PAG. I think there is a fundamental difference in meaning between the ON reading/meaning and the kun meaning/reading, but I will not argue it at length in this thread. If you contact me by my private e-mail address, I will discuss it further.

"Jiyu ouyougi," or the "the application of skill according to one's own style," is a concept that is specifically mentioned in the USAF as expected to begin developing in students at around the level of sandan. As Peter indicated, this also corresponds to the the HA stage in the traditional SHU-HA-RI structure of martial arts instruction. As for ouyouwaza, I'm starting to get the feeling that Peter may be simply using it to mean "variation."

Tsuki iriminage omotewaza is formally done with an irimi-tenkai entry, a tenkai back to the original direction, and then a scooping of uke's neck with the bicep. A common variation of this technique is entering directly, sliding the hand up the chest until the palm is under the neck, and then pushing the head up and back. The technique is still tsuki iriminage, but it is applied in a diffent manner. Would you call this example "ouyouwaza?"

PAG. No. Both are kihon waza. If you wish to have further discussion, please e-mail me privately.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury