View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #60
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Just how real is violence? And where does Aikido stands in all of this?

Quote:
Brian Beach wrote: View Post
You're not listening to what I'm saying. The person who is attempting to intimidate needs regulation... but feel free to rant on
I think I hear what you're saying. When people step on our toes it's helpful to let them know so they can be more careful. In more extreme examples, it would be nice to think we could correct their behavior with a lesson, but one of the things I've come to associate with aggressive personalities is the pronounced lack of learning that tends to go with it. Where blind emotion does give way to the faculties of reason, it's usually just to generate excuses to reinforce the emotion. I grew up with a number of people who liked fighting, viewing it as THE mark of manhood apart from the other f-word. It takes something far more comprehensive than a momentary lesson to change attitudes like that; and in fact, a moment's "lesson" often only serves as fuel to a later fire. This isn't to say we shouldn't stand up for ourselves, but there's a fine line between needing to stand up for one's self and wanting to. The latter isn't so altruistic and socially-minded.
...not that you haven't already considered these things...just joining in on the topic before a much needed nap.
Cheers y'all!
Matt

Gambarimashyo!