Thread: Superman
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #20
R.A. Robertson
Dojo: Still Point Aikido Center
Re: Superman

HI Andrew,

That others have made a royal mess of things, even with the best of intentions, is no reason for us to abdicate our own responsibility to try. I do think there is tremendous merit in tending our own gardens, and I think this is a good basis for taking larger responsibility. But some problems go far beyond individual gardens.

I really would like to save the world from the mess it's in. Actually, I don't care all that much if it's me, you, you and me together, or someone else entirely. There are things that are seriously wrong, and we will all suffer if they are not addressed. It needs to be somebody. It ought to be everybody, but I think part of the problem is too many people waiting for it to be everybody else before they step up.

It's quite true that many, maybe most of these problems are beyond my individual reach. Still, I don't think any of us can afford to shrug and say "it's not my problem" when in fact there may be openings and opportunities for us to take action in meaningful ways. All I could recommend would be for people to simply be ready to help. To be vigilant for opportunity.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, and I'm grateful for yours. Can we allow ourselves to believe that our small conversation here in this remote corner of the internet can be part of the solution?

Why not!