View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #17
Gary David

United_States
Re: aiki, aikido, tomato, tomahto

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post

Our ideas about Ki development are changing and growing. Reading here and other places stretches us and makes us think and do different things. All good.
I would offer that individuals like Dan......Ark and others...... are favoring your art. Maybe not directly, but it is happening. It is like only a few drops of chocolate in your milk ...it is not just milk anymore. It seems to me that the Dan's and Ark's openness and public instruction have allowed room...or space if you will.... have you seen some of younger Japanese instructors showing more of what would fall into the category of IP/IS? Sharing and exploring....

Quote:
We have invited Dan here several times. He lets the invites wither. I feel it is because it is an invite to explore together and not have him be the expert. Yet, I could be wrong.
Are you getting that he may be the "expert"?

Quote:
I am not interested in going to his place and this is the real reason, so listen carefully. I am not interested in the culture that I see around the posts on AikiWeb from most of the people that train in IP that post on here.
You know Dan has stayed in our home twice during weekend workshops and Mark Murray has stayed once. I have been around both of them other times. They are both what an old friend would have called people who are first cabin. I have met many of the other that come to Dan's workshops who have been very friendly and helpful The azzhats just don't seem to come around. Dan's students Terri and Don....you couldn't ask for nicer people or ones that are more helpful.........so if you are not interested the this culture and not sure what road you are traveling on now.

Quote:
I see a lot of old guy network in the posts around IP. I am not interested in putting myself in a place where I am uncomfortable.
Well I can understand that.....no wait.....I am 70 so I must be one of those old guys you are talking about.....

Quote:
When Bill Gleason's name comes I feel defensive because of some students that told us that they were not to train with us because we were not the real thing (Aikikai Aikido). Now Bill seems to be going outside Aikido to find Ki. You can do aiki in Aikido.You don't have to buy in to the Western philosophy of besting another.
In 1977 I went to my Aikido Instructor Harry Ishisaka Sensei and ask if it would be ok for me to train some Karate.....his response was do it. I had my taste while continuing my Aikido. Later I ask again and trained for a short time with Danny Inosanto's group in Torrance in 1978 (I still have the grey training shirt after all these...doesn't fit). All of this helped, was fun and added to my Aikido. Even today I am still exploring outside the art.....it is just needed.

Quote:
Before you get defensive or sarcastic ...try reading this again. I am not saying anyone is doing anything wrong. I am just talking about what I see and feel.
Read your entries again out loud and see how they lay themselves out....then ask yourself how they sound if you spoke them..

Quote:
The philosophy of self-defense without hurting another, without humiliating someone...to truly take care of oneself at the expense of no one is really at core to me. It is what makes Aikido a practice of deep determination and commitment. One can find strong inner strength through this practice.
If this stands up for you then good for you....

Quote:
If you are interested come see us. We would love to train with you.
As I am likely considered one of the Danettes even an older one......not sure if this offer would still be out there....if we visit one of our friends on the East Coast (not Dan) I'll try to bring my old bones by and see if you let me in.......

Just go straight...

Gary