View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #363
yugen

United_States
Re: Is aiki a clash of forces?

Quote:
Tom Verhoeven wrote: View Post
Thanks for the link.

The punch that he gave was 60 mph. That is a good punch. But as far as I know not exceptional. It seems that a speed like that is not uncommon in boxing or TKD, muay thai, etc.?

Tom
Whether exceptional or not I don't know. Whether muay thai or TKD produce 14 times the bodyweight in torque, I don't know either. Whether or not he's an exceptional taiji master I don't know.

this link shows some conventional measurements of Karate, olympic boxers, etc.
http://www.connectsavannah.com/news/article/102548/

The link wasn't to make a point one way or the other, just an example of western science being applied to analyze IP/IS. The researchers themselves who study movement, gait, golf swings, etc seemed to be impressed. Most conventional striking in muay thai, TKD, etc doesn't amount to much more than good athletic swinging, so I don't think the link and research would have been made public if there wasn't something more there, but that's an assumption on my part. The IP/IS strikes are typically demonstrated without wind up or reach (i.e. zero inch punch).

If I had to take away anything from the link is that there's been a lot of back and forth in this thread about trying to scientifically analyze and explain this stuff. The sensors and measuring done in the study were sensors placed on the external form. i.e. to feel how to do this stuff and to be taught it is not a straight forward equation that Dan or some other IP/IS could write on the board. If it were we'd all be doing it.

Or hell.. I'd make a home device using the Microsoft kinect camera with body mounting transmitting piezo shock sensors and be selling it... Quick to the patent lawyer's office!

Last edited by yugen : 12-06-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Ryan Schoelerman

I Liq Chuan Seattle
https://www.facebook.com/SeattleILC
Do not think or judge. Just observe and feel the way things are.