View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
mrlizard123
Dojo: Templegate Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: aiki, aikido, tomato, tomahto

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
I see a lot of old guy network in the posts around IP.
Hey! I'm not old and I'm... ok, the guy bit is fair enough

Quote:
I am not interested in putting myself in a place where I am uncomfortable.
I'm assuming you mean this discomfort purely in something like a social context? Do you train in such a way to advance yourself up to the limit of your comfort and beyond? Otherwise doesn't it make progress slower/harder/etc? I assume you don't mean you aim to remain within your comfort zone at all times?

Quote:
The philosophy of self-defense without hurting another, without humiliating someone...to truly take care of oneself at the expense of no one is really at core to me. It is what makes Aikido a practice of deep determination and commitment. One can find strong inner strength through this practice.
I think this is great and I'd agree with it but I'm not sure your comments regarding sheep and herds are congruent with this vision of action at no one else's expense. I consider myself to be a person of reasonable intellect and intact faculties; I subscribe to the same idea or ideas as other people based upon the merits of experience and evidence, not to be part of a group. It seems to me you are implying that people who find merit in the IP/aiki field and want to participate in public discussion are somehow not free and capable individuals who happen to agree with a particular set of ideas and concepts through their experiences.

People can be enthusiastic and I understand that you might perceive this in the way you have but without knowing people personally I'd not be in such a hurry to brand them as you do with your statements regarding herds; from your continued expression of your perspective I could suggest you are a "blinkered horse" unable to see that which you have in front of you... I don't because I think it would be unfairly rude on my part; I have not met you and have no direct experience with what you're doing etc. It's also ok for each of us to disagree and believe that what we do is different/correct/better/whatever. Talking about our feelings in this regard is also ok, as is not participating where we don't feel like it's conducive to progress. I may agree or disagree with the manner in which you describe some things but that's by the by unless I know for sure that it's not simply a misunderstanding based on terminology.

For example you use the term inner strength and I could assume you mean this in some manner relating to the discussions about "IS" or "IP" or "aiki" as per many of the threads on here and then point out where I think that's not correct, but I'm not sure so won't make the assumption. If you mean it in terms of something like mental/psychological/spiritual fortitude then I would probably agree and think that this applies in many types of training paradigms including those espoused by proponents of the IP/aiki training methods; though think this is a different subject to the "internal" subjects that are often a staple for discussion/debate/argumentation i.e. "inner strength" != "internal power"/"internal strength"/"internal skills" (pick your poison).

Rich

Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile