View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #327
Krystal Locke
United_States
Re: Is aiki a clash of forces?

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Life and time are precious. There is no other endeavor.... BUT budo.....that doesn't require real results....... So two hundred pages of physics and mechanics that produces your average Nidan, or a collection of concepts and metaphors in real world training that produces world class power and aiki??
Tick toc
Tick toc
How about 200 pages of physics and mechanics AND a collection of concepts and metaphors AND real world training? Wouldn't that expand the student base? Why not nod at the base physical reality that is there, that can be researched and communicated?

Metaphor is useful but dangerous because it is not consistent between people. Clearly this is shown by the complete clusterfuck that happens here when someone tries to discuss anything more profound than what they had for dinner last night. We cannot communicate effectively about aiki because because we have not agreed on what aiki is. The neat thing about physics and mechanics is that the language used in science is pretty much fixed. Force is mass times acceleration. Mass is a measure of the amount of material in a body. Acceleration is the time based rate of change of the time based rate of change of position in a moving object. Because those terms are objectively defined, we can safely discuss forces, we can confidently make predictions about forces that are borne out in the real world, and we can design and build things that create or direct or withstand forces as they should.

I also find metaphor dangerous because it is very easy to stop thinking once someone "gets", or worse, thinks they "get" the metaphor, and they start to believe that the metaphor is the actual message. This is the foundation for religion and other forms of magical thinking. I want my budo to be strongly reality based and free of magical thought.

Mr Mead may be out there and mostly incorrect (as far as I can tell, and I am beginning to agree a bit with Mark Murray's assessment of Mead's hypotheses about the physics of IP as incorrect and not particularly useful) with what he is proposing as a scientific basis for IP, but if he is able to do functional, correct research, he can get to a real understanding of the physics behind IP. That would be a great boon to the practice and to humanity. He may or may not be able to embody his knowledge and practice what he preaches, but the preaching would not be incorrect. And it would be very useful to me, someone who finds value in precise, reliable, verifiable, repeatable explanation and instruction. While I am also physically (interesting word, that) experiencing and practicing what I am told will work in the real world.

It really is turtles all the way down, and the turtles are physics.

Dan, a rather superficial direct question for you. What is the best way to find your seminar schedule? Do you have a website that lists your calendar? I would love to put some of this argumentation to rest and be able to say that I have indeed felt you. My life requires great planning at the moment, and getting away for a seminar would take some advanced notice, like a month or so, and the seminar would have to fall at a fortuitous time. Do you know where you are going to be 3 months out, or is it catch as catch can?