View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #272
DH
United_States
Re: Is aiki a clash of forces?

Hi Carl
I read the article and understand his talking points. Much of which I agree with. The summation is where we differ. In fact I think Aikido itself has demonstrably proven that just letting kokyu and ki *happen* through training is a demonstrable failure. In and of itself it is and should be a revelatory statement in the community that the existing methodologies have failed to produce the unusual power that kokyu and ki are known for on any consistent basis. Therefore just waiting around to experience it, -much more to actually learn it- through a training paradigm that statistically fails to produce it, is not much of viable strategy.

What makes matters worse is that now, on an international stage and with worldwide communication, there is an increasing number of teachers getting out and experiencing real kokyu and ki from many different sources that...surprise.....actually had a specific training model for kokyu and ki. AND as it turns out those methods are well established and were known by the arts founder and many others in the Asian arts.

I understand that is not a very welcomed nor comforting revelation for many teachers, but resisting something that is well known and now being demonstrated consistently on world stage to the arts teachers and students it is not very wise strategy either. In the end, it will make those at the very top look like they are engaging in a very transparent protectionism.

There is no kokyu and ki training that is *unique* to Aikido or the Japanese arts in general, no matter how someone may try to convince us that is the case. Tohei's "one point" is a shining example, as his "one point" was never his. It was given to him through his Yoga teacher and was a staple principle in yoga. So here again we see that all of this singular genius and specific art individuality that everyone is so wrapped up in fails when we see the foundations were common and generations old.
The exposure of the truth that there is specific work all of us could and should be doing should lead to an embracing of a body of knowledge shared by the Asian arts. I see no benefit for protectionism and closed minds to something the arts founder was himself deeply immersed in: that being specific kokyu and ki training. One should be at least considering that since the founder engaged in detailed practice to achieve it....
Maybe, just maybe, it's a good idea to look into it.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 12-02-2012 at 08:20 AM.