View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
Pat Togher
United_States
Re: 10/26 - 10/28 - Daito Ryu Ginjukai Seminar - Bellevue, WA

Senseis Ledyard, Pride, and Drachman have covered the specifics of the seminar very well, and addressed the availability of the materials to more advanced practitioners. I can't add to that, but I wanted to add a bit from a beginner's perspective.

One aspect of Brogna Sensei's teaching that hasn't been discussed in detail is the attention he devoted to each of the students. Whether we were working in lines or pairs, Brogna Sensei was always available to the seminar participants. If you had a question, you just had to catch his eye and he was there. He worked his way around the entire room, so that he could observe each participant, giving encouragement and correction as needed. If there was a common element that students were having trouble with, Brogna Sensei would stop the practice to clarify or expand on that element of the technique. Brogna Sensei clearly wants all the students to get it, and puts in the effort to make that happen. As a result, I left the seminar with the good feeling that results from intense practice, but also with a confidence that I understood what had been presented, both the how and why of the techniques. That's a great feeling.

I have to echo Ledyard Sensei's comment that the NY dojo is very fortunate to have both Popkin Sensei and Brogna Sensei. I intend to practice with both of them as often as I can!

Pat Togher