Old 11-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
C. David Henderson
United_States
Re: about training capacity

Mohamed,

For what it may be worth:

Quote:
Mohamed Salah wrote: View Post

If I was let to fall I fall correctly, if my colleague insisted on completing the move tell the point of break that's when shit happens and that's mostly how it occurred in the first place .... As an uke, actually the younger ones come to me cause I am the nice guy and accept all their nastiness, they feel great throwing me around.
Sometime newer students apply "power" to techniques at places that don't make much sense, but increase the chance of injury. "Cranking" an arm lock, for example, after you've already cooperated in allowing them to apply the technique and entrusted them with your limb. Or trying to complete a throw in an unexpected direction or dangerous position (like shiho nage that requires a break fall).

Over time, it becomes easier to anticipate this kind of problem and to deal with it.

But since you also are a newer student, and since this situation is resulting in injury that limits your training capacity, maybe you should consider taking steps to tone things down for the time being.

Quote:
I noticed that if I resisted in certain moves things will be even worse so I tend to be flexible as much as I can and at the same time it's more like having all my powers fired up at the right moment to change course
I'm not sure I'm understanding this completely, but watch out that this doesn't result in tensing up, particularly in the upper torso and shoulders.

Quote:
I tried to think of a compromise, train with no wights...like soldiers or those with no gym access.
You might want to train off the mat, but you may want to focus a lot on the kinds of exercises you do in class. If you have access to some kind of suitable surface, you might also consider practicing your falls.

Quote:
[T]hinking about being weak enough end's up with the figure of me losing more and more w[e]ight but that would leave me still tall.
I know an instructor who is a very tall and strong guy. He never relies on his strength. He moves in a very precise and graceful way as nage (tori) and has superb ukemi. The kind of weakness I think Phi was getting at doesn't require you to waste away, but to give up relying on being physically strong when you are practicing. When I practice with a child, for example, it is a great opportunity for me to be as soft -- and precise -- as I can.

Good luck.

David Henderson