View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
vieq
Egypt
Re: about training capacity

First of all, I thank you for taking the time to write this down with full focus and consideration.

Quote:
Eva Röben wrote:
Dear Mohamed,

did you see a doctor about your knee ligaments?
Yes and he told me it's 1st or 2nd grade, if it developed to the 3rd grade then he'd have to do arthroscopy on it.

So he told me to use this Dorofen tell my knee do not hurt.

It actually hurt on couple of positions other than that it's ok.

Quote:
Eva Röben wrote:
So if you want to continue aikido or any other martial art or intensive sport etc., maybe you should do something about your knee. From what I understood, doing nothing is dangerous at long term, and with 30 you are not old, you have decades to develop an arthrosis, and that's certainly not what you want. One of our elder sempai has arthrosis (worked as a truck driver, and that got on his knees), and he's off the mat ever now and then, it hurts, and there are lots of techniques he can't do properly anymore because of his knee. He's 67.
Well, he knows I am into sport and I asked him wither I should continue training or not, he told me avoid sitting crossed legs on the ground and avoid the seiza position.

That's all, also I looked up couple of exercises to help my knee.

Quote:
Eva Röben wrote:
Coming to the gap between power and skill - I suppose that's maybe extreme because powerlifting and aikido are so very opposite. If you lift weights, you work on muscles, in aikido, you work on flexibility, reaction and spatial perception. You'll certainly often hear from your sensei "don't use force!"
Well, actually I may have miss used the word power here, cause like you said I was taught that using force in any move is totally wrong with Aikido, it's about flexibility.

Quote:
Eva Röben wrote:
But very strong people are often very rigid and have much more problems in receiving ukemi than small, thin or frail ones. Most of the lightweights in my dojo and elsewhere fall like cats or like leaves. The strong men fall like blocks of concrete.
I and another fellow of mine are the only two big guys in the training are the only two who fall correctly that's what I 've been told by the coach.

If I was let to fall I fall correctly, if my colleague insisted on completing the move tell the point of break that's when shit happens and that's mostly how it occurred in the first place

Quote:
Eva Röben wrote:
Wishing you all the best for your aikido and especially for your health,

Eva
Amen, and to you as well.

Quote:
robin_jet_alt wrote:
Do you get hurt as uke or as tori?
As an uke, actually the younger ones come to me cause I am the nice guy and accept all their nastiness, they feel great throwing me around

Quote:
phitruong wrote:
power lifting give strength in a somewhat linear fashion. your muscle might be strong, but your joints might not. aikido tends to put rotational stress to your joints which i believed you are not used too or trained to deal with through power lifting. muscle strength in this case might be detrimental to your practice, because it can be used to further increase the stress on your joints when techniques apply to your body, i.e. if nage applies rotational component to your joints, and if your put up some resistance, your muscles will increase the stress on your own joints many folds.

so try the opposite approach, being weak enough to protect yourself. strange and confusing, yes?
Totally

Well, here is the thing; before I finally got to train Aikido I stopped powerlifting before it by a period of time.

I simply did that to cut lose the aggressiveness I picked up through powerlifting.

The why I mentioned powerlifting again is I thought if my muscles were in a good shape that might protect the joints at least 50%, apparently I am wrong.

I noticed that if I resisted in certain moves things will be even worse so I tend to be flexible as much as I can and at the same time it's more like having all my powers fired up at the right moment to change course, more like a jet got fuel and got pushing speed; the pilot turns off the jet for a min and count on the push he got and then fires up his engines to change course (I am not even sure that's a legitimate example or not )

I tried to think of a compromise, train with no wights...like soldiers or those with no gym access.

How about that?

PS: I am 180cm tall and weigh 95kg, so thinking about being weak enough end's up with the figure of me losing more and more wight but that would leave me still tall

Last edited by vieq : 11-16-2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: addition