View Single Post
Old 10-17-2002, 12:20 PM   #25
Erik
Some interesting points here.
Quote:
Hanna Björk (Hanna B) wrote:
What you definately want to avoid is going to class and there´s no students there. Students get ill, their children get ill, they have to work late and repair the car and attend their friends' birthday parties... so this can happen, even when you have a small but stable group.
This is the worst and is a double whammy. First, it's depressing to the teacher. I help out at a small dojo and this has happened to me a few times. It sucks your enthusiasm right out. Second, when no one shows up, you tend to go home early and so when someone does show up there's no one there. Finally, it's just harder to get an energetic and dynamic class going.
Quote:
You can definately have good quality training with one or two students. Overteaching is an obvious danger, though. One needs the teacher's full attention some times, but also to rest from it and try on ones own.
One of the best arguments for larger classes. More students and the teachers attention gets spread out, hence, you don't get micromanaged so much.

In regards to other information. You might check out

http://www.napma.com

They are pretty material in their approach (I can hear the groans already) to the MA thing but I've found their magazines useful in making me think about stuff. Since you are now running a dojo I suspect you'll be hearing from them soon enough though.

Also, any of the major bookstores will have a ton of marketing books. I'm sure you could find something which would work for you.