View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #24
HL1978
Dojo: Aunkai
United_States
Re: Is aiki a clash of forces?

Depends on what you want and if you have the circumstances to fully commit to competition. I'm not in a position to comment on the aunkai and their members situation or competition results, but will say if you see the videos, they're pretty hilariously one sided against their opponents.

There have been a parade of MMA people who have felt IP practitioners and a lot of them have the same problem. You basically will have to quit what you are doing, more or less completely, and take up IP because it fundamentally changes how you work your body at all times. Its not something you can just plug in. Once you figure it out, then you can go back to what you are doing while continuing that sort of conditioning and skill development.

That's a pretty huge gamble for a competitor to take. Do I stick with what I know, or do I put competition on hiatus for a few years while I pick up this new skill? Part of this is because to make this stuff work, you have to give up all your strength and chase after things that make you feel unbalanced and weak. Its a rather counter intuitive process to basically give up what you have, in addition to realizing that waza more or less doesn't work on these guys. Now I'm not knocking anyone in particular, but there is an intelligence component too, in that you have to think about this stuff considerably in addition to putting in the training time.

Of course, if you get someone with skill in IP and he does well, you would expect tons of others to jump on the bandwagon.