View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #58
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: It Has to be Felt #0

I clearly don’t understand the practice of aikidō to be about the structure of the meeting of two persons or actually two persons in conflict. Because the structure is set when practicing kata. It is simply given what happens.
So the meeting when set by kata is not ritual combat, but is one person performing (-> shite) some technical work and another person giving feedback (aite) through his body.
In kata – the way I understand and practice it – there is no conflict. And so there are no structures taught or even just to find, you can implement into other situations. This is simply not what we do. ln our aikidō the actual meeting (deai) of shite and aite is taught under just technical aspects.

Second: I think if you want to try to get analogies out of your keiko referring to structures of managing conflicts or social relationships or even other aspects of live, you have to understand aikidō as a way to blend with a partner via the outward or external movements. There you may find someone call it irimi to speak out the truth loud and clear. Or ura if you first accept the reasons and arguments of a discussion partner. Things like that.
I don’t know whether you can imagine what’s it like when aikidō is not about this external meeting, but about what happens within you yourself. And about having a partner who willingly helps you realizing “how” you are. This Training pattern does not give you analogies to be used in daily life or verbal conflicts. As far as I understand it now.

About your comparison to “certain religious folk”: You compared aikidō to religion more than once in this thread. To me this makes no sense. To me there is no point of comparison. In don’t see something which aikidō and religion have in common. When it’s me I compare aikidō to koryū, to budō, to yoga, to qi gong, to forms of bodywork like structural integration (just translated this, don’ know whether this exists in English), anatomy trains, ICMA, tai chi … . But I don’t see, how aikidō is connected to religion? I think I get an idea about how it is for you. But here again: I would say if you think you need religious aspects in your life, you should try to find them in religious contexts.

Quote:
So when I go to the mat, I try to remember that I am there to try to find a way to unite the world into one family.
We are definitely heading in different directions regarding aikidō. But even in other aspects of my life this is not my concern.