View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Travers Hughes
Dojo: Aikikai
Australia
Re: Some partners talk too much and even want to do the technique for me!

Extend your finger (usually pointer, but middle one if it tickles your sense of humor) and see if you can poke them in the eye. If you can, they should shut up and focus on their own training. If they don't, poke them in the eye again. Either way, at least you know, and you have learnt something about distance and timing. Your training is your training, no-one else's (even though there is this whole collaborative thing going on). From my experience, the "uke that won't shut up" syndrome is a product of enthusiasm mixed with a little "rank euphoria" - yes, I'm guilty of it at times, too. We all are. People don't always realise they are doing it, so give them the benefit of the doubt. If it continues, consider what it is that is upsetting you - is it because you feel "it's my time to do the technique" and "its you time to receive"? That's a different issue, that is more about you than your partner, and one that I can't answer without knowing you. Both are great things to study and think about - best of luck!