View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #53
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: The Fear of Power

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Aikido has grown way beyond Ueshiba. If you're interested only in Ueshiba that is fine, but the Aikido community has grown and changed in the last 50 years or so. What you are saying is analogous to every painter trying to copy and continue what, say, Matisse did. Matisse was great, and showed us lot's of things, but he's not the end of painting. Proving what Ueshiba said or didn't say doesn't change anything. Aikido is not a Koryu, it is a living system.

Frankly I have no idea if what you think Ueshiba was getting at was right wrong or indifferent. I'll let you and the historians hash that one out. But the Aikido community outside of the internet, that I speak with, doesn't sound like the picture you are painting (pun intended).
And yet, you cited Ueshiba yourself in the very post that we are discussing:

Quote:
I guess that initially "Power" is the motivator for training. Ueshiba seems mystical and powerful. This small man could defeat huge, powerful, younger martial artists. Then, as you start to get some "power" yourself, you test yourself outside of the Dojo, and you meet other very "powerful" people, you start to realize that power isn't really the goal, and never was.
None of the people that I'm working with are trying to duplicate Ueshiba in the manner you're discussing above - you must have us confused with somebody else.

On the other hand, that the thoughts and the methodology of the founder of the art are relevant to those training in that art (especially when direct students of the founder are still alive) seems, to me, to be a no brainer.

Best,

Chris