View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #104
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: What is "IP" discussion of Internal power.

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
his english isn't sufficient to explain the details of his demonstration. i wrote a translation table somewhere on aikiweb. when he said technique, it meant IP. when he said technique movement, it meant the regular aikido technique like shigonage, ikkyo and so on. he will say he's teaching technique. pay attention when he said he's moving his inside. it meant hara/dantien movement which is the foundation of IP. for example, in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St7I0M2fx1c when he said your center (he used to say your inside) moves 360 (you need to extrapolate that to mean in spherical coordinate, as in anywhere on the 3D sphere).
I think that the last time I saw Ikeda was in the late 1980's, so I can't comment much on the IP direction he's been taking, except to say that I've heard similar comments from other people - his explanations could still be clearer. For that reason, you may have a better time understanding Dan, Mike, or even Sam (who's English also isn't 100%, but has developed a very clear framework for explaining things).

OTOH, Ikeda was always one of my favorite Aikido folks, both in terms of what he could do and in terms of personality.

Allen Beebe's in your area - and he and his guys have been working on this stuff enough to give you a window into it, I'm sure.

Best,

Chris