View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 04:42 AM   #55
Carsten M÷llering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: It Has to be Felt #0

Quote:
Ross Robertson wrote: View Post
If aikido, or budo, does not on some level teach talking, negotiating, then it is an incomplete art.
Again: How do you teach, practice, learn talking and negotiating in your d˘j˘? What methods of talking/negotiating do you teach in concreto? How do you connect this to the waza or the bodywork of aikid˘? How do you connect those methods to the specific methods of talking/negotiating?

Quote:
... aikido's ... mental/emotional conditioning, and social and environmental awareness ...
In which way do you see aikid˘ to be emotional coditioning? How does aikid˘ teach social and environmental awareness?
And once again: How do you teach, practice, learn this in your d˘j˘? I never had this in my aikid˘ life. So I don’t have a clue what can be added to the usual keiko to meet this aim.

Quote:
To "simply practice" is not an aim or purpose. Would you say that your practice has any purpose?
Tissier sensei, when asked about the purpose of practice, once said: “I train, because it feels right to do so.”
Endo sensei once said: “I practice because there are many things I don’t know.”
I like both answers.
I'd like to add: I practice, because it kneads, opens, connects my body, because it is a way to change the body. I practice, because it helps to get away from the mind being the center and instead concentrate more on my body. I practice, to get able to move towards the dao.

Quote:
Maybe your experience of your art is a simple relief, a kind of rest and distraction from the stresses of your other activities.
Well, to be honest, practice comes first in my life. I built my family and job around my practice.

Quote:
A good dojo culture in my view is both hierarchical and heterarchical.
I don't see how a certain tradition of knowledge can be transmitted using heterarchical structures. And that’s what I think, keiko is: Transmitting a given tradition.

Quote:
What is progress? Toward what are you progressing?
Progress means the development of certain abilities of the body.
Getting softer, getting connected, getting more open, more centred and grounded while affecting the structure of uke more effectively.
Being relaxed and free while controlling uke more clearly and easily.
Getting more towards me. Unfolding the abilities of the body. Change the body.

Quote:
Perhaps you have an opportunity to restructure your dojo with an orientation toward your more ideal society?
As I said above I not only do not expect a d˘j˘ to be the image oft a ideal society. I on the contrary think this would hinder the transmission of aikid˘. But to me this is no problem, because I don’t see aikid˘ to be a way or a vehicel to create a certain society.

Quote:
For me, a dojo is a laboratory. It is a specifically designed environment conceived as a containment area for the safe experimentation and refinement of more optimal ways of being.
Wow. How can keiko be experimentation?
It’s funny that 同情 d˘j˘ means compassion, empathy. But 道場d˘j˘ seems to be a traininghall for a Japanese martial art?

Quote:
I think if we study history, we come across many many instances of a religion or a philosophy or an ideology or a movement, all with grand designs to improve the human condition and make a better world.
Yes. But how come, you count aikid˘ as one of those movements?

Quote:
Are you and I doing different varieties of the same thing?
I don't know. If I remember it right I only once in 19 years met someone who connected aikid˘ to somewhat similar ideas like you do. (He is am member of a group or association called “aiki extensions” as far as I know.) Regarding this person you won’t find his aikid˘ “different” during practice. It is only when you talk to him, that you come to know that his understanding of aikid˘ differs. So you don’t have to think about it during practice.
Wether you and I are doing varieties of the same thing may depend on how we practice.
(Regarding the German Ki-Aikido, following Yoshigasaki it is my opinion by know that we do different things. Because it is not only the thinking that is different, but also practice has not much in common.)

Quote:
But then, should we call it the same thing?
If it where different things, we both use the name we inherited. It’s just that. There is no brand or trademark. (In German forums I distinguish "Ki-Aikido" and "aikid˘". This is mostly accepted.)

Last edited by Carsten M÷llering : 11-09-2012 at 04:51 AM.