View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #64
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Defining the word "Aiki" and looking at the phenomenon it describes.

Quote:
Dave de Vos wrote: View Post
When you're standing on a frictionless surface, the effect of the push is that your body accellerates and slides away as a unit. There is no way to prevent this, regardless of internal strength or alignment.
That's why I said that you want friction from the ground.
Ok, good we agree there, I would say the same thing myself.

Once I read someone ( I really wish that I could remember who) speaking of "centered" and "grounded". This person said that "grounded" was like wearing rubber soled shoes on a smooth marble floor, you stick to the floor and have lots of traction. He then said that being "centered" is like wearing wool socks on that same floor, and if anyone pushed you you would simply slide around, but not fall over. I don't know why, but when I first heard this years ago, it was very clear to me what this man meant by "centered" and "grounded". And that if you could be both centered and grounded, you would seem quite powerful.

So, if the above example is clear, I would say solid structure is like centering. The better you can hold your body, in whatever position it's in, the more structure you have, the more "centered" you'd be. Alignment is like grounding from the above. That's your ability to "stick" (for lack of a better word) to the ground.

If you're both centered, and grounded from the above, or have both structure and alignment, as I describe now, no matter what configuration you're in, you would be rather difficult to move.

How does this sound to you?