Old 11-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #40
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: Difficult uke or bad technique?

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
Hi Marc,
I'm not psychologist so I can't comment. I personally don't want to "rewire" anybody, this is a role (if necessary) of the techniques not mine.
The situation is that nage MUST do everything, even "muscle through", to be sure, that whatever he does, his technique is inefficient. He must be convinced by himself, by his own experience not by somebody 'external' - like i.e. instructor. He must repeat this experience many times, to be without any doubt. He has to hit a wall.
Only then, a jump on higher level is possible.
Szczepan:

I am a psychologist so we obviously come from different places. I do want the person to be rewired and have that expressed through technique. The repeating a mistake many times position is not only inefficient, but it hard-wires in bad response sets. I literally ask a student to walk into the cement-block walls of my dojo and ask the student how many times they want to do that. I also "tap" the person with strikes as a means of allowing their bodies to experience "the wall" in a safe manner so that the reprogramming happens early in the cycle of learning.

Regards,

marc abrams