View Single Post
Old 10-16-2002, 05:49 PM   #3
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: Newbie With Question

Quote:
Travis Michael (tmichael) wrote:
I am a total newbie to martial arts. Recently, however, I picked up Art of Peace and then began to read about Morihei Ueshiba and eventually Akido. This form of martial arts seems appealing to me and I thought that I'd like to seriously give it a try. I live in Ohio and from what I can tell we have basically three Akido dojos to choose from in Columbus. Two of them are ASU affliated and one of them is USAF affliated. What are the differences between USAF and ASU schools? Just from looking at the web pages listed for the schools. What are the sort of things to seek in a dojo? What things will set a good school apart from one that might be a scam? Again, I'm totally green to this so any advice would be super.
All of the three schools that you're referring to (if I'm interpreting things correctly) are legitimate, so I wouldn't worry about scams. There are some differences in training philosophies between USAF and ASU, but they aren't large, and I wouldn't worry too much about them. I'd visit all three places and choose the one that I like best. My personal recommendation in the Columbus area would be Frank Hreha, but that's just me .

Best,

Chris