View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
Mariska Poiesz

Dojo: Aiki o Kami; Watersportbaan/Gusb
Belgium
Difficult uke or bad technique?

I have been having trouble training with one of the other students at our dojo.
When we train together I find it very difficult to practice the technique asked of us on him. I feel as though he is risting too much for technique's to work, but maybe I can't get controll over the situation because my technique is bad.

For example, yesterday we were practising morotedori iriminage. He places a very fierce morotedori that quickly moves into a yonkyo. That yonkyo still hurts the next day.
From that attack I can move into a kotegaishi or an ikkyo, but not directly into an iriminage. (Kokyonage is also difficult with him) I've asked him to calm down a bit so that I can figure out the best approach to his attack, but even then I feel as though I am not executing the technique right, and other techniques seem to make more sense when dealing with him. When we speed up again I can barely apply the iriminage and I have to use strenght. However my iriminage seems to work with other people.

After class I've spoken to some other people about him and they also find him a difficult and anoying training partner.

Am I being too sensitive?
Are other uke's not resisting enough during my irimi, making me think I can apply the technique while in reality I can't?
Or if his way of taking ukemi is the problem, how can we get him to ease up and relax?

We are both 4th kyu, going for 3rd end this month.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.