View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: 83 year old aikido black belt repels home invader.

Quote:
Lyle Laizure wrote: View Post
Depending on the laws of your state, city, or county you are not allowed, legally speaking, to go after someone, even if they have assaulted you, if there is no eminent threat to you safety. Further more if you can avoid it you have to; meaning that if you specifically engage someone and you had the opportunity to avoid them it is you that is at fault. The fact that the article mentions that both of the individuals have attained a blackbelt in Aikido and that the fella's own account of what happened really does set them up for serious liability.
The news article is Australian but I expect they have similar laws there.

Quote:
Lyle Laizure wrote: View Post
This is a serious matter and I know this is a standard "joke" in "the dojo" but a good prosecuter will look at a thread like this and will use it as the "frame of mind" that the man in the article had when he decided to confront the intruder.

That aside shouldn't we hope to feel compassion for another human being that has been seriously injured and possibly facing the end of his life? I'm only saying we shouldn't make the fact that someone stabbed a laughable matter.
I am glad to see that I am not the only one who did not find this amusing. Information is missing but the whole story sure does not make the aikidoka look good.