View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #285
DH
United_States
Re: VoE: AWASE - The Principle of AIKI

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote:
Depends on the person, I guess, but even standing absolutely still can get into an enormous amount of detail.

Besides, the post-war students never learned the 118.

Best,

Chris
Even talking about the 118 is indicative of the lack of form. they are not all the same school to school. But since it is supposed to be uniform...how'd that happen?
Aiki is formless. Takeda, like Ueshiba did not like to repeat anything. They were free wheeling it and making stuff up-including Takeda making up more scrolls-as he went along.
I suppose if you are deeply invested in learning a set form through waza, testing on it and achieving rank for knowing them and then being a teacher and such, and then finding out that virtually no one in the founding of the art gave a rats ass about waza as opposed to internal power to make aiki and *you* have no idea what that is, why it is and how to do it, it can be a bit of surprise. Seems like it was to Chiba, when he talked about Ueshiba shouting "This is not my Aikido" and start to lecture them.

Interestingly, one of those post war deshi...apparently also "victimized" by Ueshiba's speeches, notes that Ueshiba ran in one day with an anatomy chart he had found and started telling them "See, this is what I've been talking about!!"
Makes the lecture you just couldn't stand listening to; lets say on the cosmology of heaven/earth/man have some teeth to it, when you see the body parts involved in the methodology and then you are knocked on your ass by it.
Dan