View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #19
BJohnston
United_States
Re: Theory: "Spiritual" vs "Learning something new we can't explain"

I'm sure, at some point, the "spirituality" part happens...to some. The moments that I'm able to feel any spirituality are fleeting at this point in my career. I do have my moments of letting go and feeling free from thought. Maybe that's what's it's suppose to be for me. It does cause me to look deeper within. It teaches me life lessons through vigorous training. Again, maybe that's what it is for me. In order to feel the type of spirituality that O'Sensei represented, tried to teach, and spoke of is something that I don't think many folks can ever experience. Those were different times. He was a different man. I wouldn't be truthful if I said I don't strive for enlightenment through the art, but I think anyone who has trained with sincerity in the art will tell you that the "new age" thing is a joke. This is a true "martial" art. Based on techniques that can be quite devistatingly brutal. I get to train with a cop and a marine on a regular bases. There's very little room for glassy eyed views on the world while your on the receiving end of a deep Sankyo.