View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #189
DH
United_States
Re: VoE: AWASE - The Principle of AIKI

Quote:
David Soroko wrote: View Post
1. If the "outer form" demonstrated by the founder is not important, why insist on not doing it?
2. How (do) you decide when to stop "mimicking his outer form"? Will you have all the --kyo, shihonage, koshinage, kokyunage etc... reworked to their non outer form shape? If so, how will your martial art look like when you are done?
3. In the context of the previous question, how does your Aikido look like now? How would you categorize your linage?
1. I don't consider outer form of mush importance, and neither did Ueshiba. He stressed that he didn't give it importance *over* aiki. And just to be clear; all of his descriptions of aiki didn't involve form. In fact most of them were not even his-they came from other source material and directly pointed to solo training and what was happening inside of you!!
So, other pertinent questions for you would be:
a. Why do you consider outer form important?
b. Why does anybody?
c. Why do so many of your movements and body skills in the people I continue to meet feel like the average person off the street, and Ueshiba didn't? Could it possibly have to do with what he said he was doing?
d. And why is it that those of us who train using those concepts expressed in his own terminology keep being told we feel different?

2. I stopped a few years in and never went back to form to find aiki. My martial art looks like jujutsu based MMA. Why would Sagawa (a peer of Ueshiba's) basically say what Ueshiba said. "Aiki is about training the body. Only amateurs think you get it from techniques." A good counter question is why did none of the peers of Ueshiba (under Takeda) stress form.
Why do you think they disagree so strongly with your ideas?
3. I am told my Aiki...do is pretty good, but hey...according to at least one person here; only idiots and easily swayed people come train with me.

Can I add other questions of my own.
Since Ueshiba, Shirata, Shioda, Mochizuki, Tomiki, and later, teachers like Tohei and Saotoma were also known for not being able to be thrown:
a. How was that good?
b. Why was it good?
c. In what dojo was that happening?
d. Why is it now so very ...good....to fit in and be thrown?
e. What is it exactly we are being trained for and to do compared to those men?
Dan

Last edited by DH : 10-21-2012 at 12:09 PM.