View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
ashe

Dojo: Tempe Arizona I Liq Chuan
United_States
Re: IS/IP Styles and results comparisons

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
I alternated between then regularly, but never felt like I was getting anywhere, never really felt anything different in me. It was a little frustrating, but I was eventually advised to just focus on one thing
yes, in relation to this topic i had posted on Jamie's Facebook page;

Quote:
I just told one of my students in class tonight that it's fine to look outside of our system and get an idea of what other people are doing, but you have to look at our stuff as 'education' and the other stuff as 'entertainment'. In other words, entertainment is not something you bother to really retain.
of course, all the arts are trying to get you up to the mountain top, but by different paths. I think it's better to get to the top along one path first, or at least far enough along that you can see the peak before exploring another entirely different path(s). You spend all your time running around at the base of the mountain, running from path to path.

Just to be clear, when I have say 'entertainment' I don't mean to devalue any other art, just that while you're on any given path, spending lots of time looking at all the others can be a distraction to say the least.

tiger at the gate
-----------------------
discipline, concentration & wisdom
Twitter-@luoyegongfu