View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States
Re: Too Busy Too Far

Excerpt from "Black Belt Interview With Koichi Tohei: Technique Without Ki, Says Master, Is Not Aikido," Black Belt, November 1965, at page 48:

BLACK BELT: Is it possible to study Aikido from a book for many of these people who do not have a dojo in their area?

TOHEI: It is very difficult to understand the movements of Aikido from a book but you may be able to learn and apply the mental aspect of Aikido from a book. You must, of course, read the book thoroughly maybe four or five times, before you can really understand it. Then you must practice the movements and attempt to follow what you have read.

BLACK BELT: In other words, you do recommend a person to study from a book if a dojo is not available?

TOHEI: Yes, if a dojo is not available. But if one is, you should attend a good dojo because you'll be able to learn the finer points of the art which you may miss from a book.

BLACK BELT: If I should read your book and misinterpret one of the techniques or exercises, and keep practicing it wrong, will that hinder my development later on when I join a dojo?

TOHEI: No. When I visited Chicago a few months ago, four Ohioans came to study under me and I was surprised because they knew the techniques quite well. When I inquired who taught them, they said that they had learned it from my book. One person would read while the others practiced the techniques. They didn't reveal any major faults in their movements. I'm glad that my book can help people who live in an area where a dojo is not accessible.

http://books.google.com/booksid=AtoDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage &q=koichi%20tohei&f=false