View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
SparkErosion
Dojo: 6th Kyu (yellow belt) rank/ Five Rings Aikido/ Seidokan hybrid style
United_States
Re: Please help - got injured badly in aikido 2 days ago.worried I can't do aikido fu

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
First things first: understand that no injury, no matter how bad, means that you won't be able to do aikido again.

Does that mean that your injury won't cause problems for you? Hell, no -- it almost certainly will cause problems for you, because orthopedic injuries tend to be like that. You almost never get to go back to exactly the way it was before. But that's not always a bad thing. I've dislocated my left shoulder twice, and I would honestly say that right now I think it's healthier than it was before -- yes, it's had damage; yes, there's scar tissue in there somewhere; but it pains me rarely and has no disability, and I would say that it's less likely to be injured now than it was then.

Don't try to get your injury diagnosed over the internet, not here and not anywhere else. Go see an orthopedist, preferably one that has a sportsmedicine practice. Explain in detail how you got injured and what your practice involves. Follow your doctor's advice. Don't expect them to guarantee that you will get fixed up good as new - they won't do that. Understand that doctors don't fix human bodies the way mechanics fix cars - you can't just swap out a part. A doctor's job is to help create the circumstances where your body can heal itself as best possible. It is very, very easy for you, the patient, to subvert that process if you are not wise.

Be patient. I know that's hard, especially when you feel in need of reassurance -- right now you want to know what's what and when it will be all better (hence your mention of recovery time, knowing on Monday if you'll need surgery, etc.). Unfortunately, you're going to have to learn to be patient with uncertainty. If you meet with an ortho today, it's most likely you won't get very definite answers, particularly about having surgery, because it's still quite soon after the injury. If your doctor does quote you a recovery time, you need to take it with a large grain of salt, recognizing that it depends on if all goes well, if you don't reinjure it, if the doctor's diagnosis has found all the problems, etc. And, remember that with orthopedic injuries, "recovery time" never means "time until it's as good as new". That tends to be a longer time, and can be "never" if you're stubborn about it. "Recovery time" really means "typical time at which you can resume activity" -- bearing in mind that for the average ortho, "activity" means "picking up a latte at the Starbucks", not rolling around on an aikido mat. You need to be frank with your doctor, and describe your activity in detail. Be patient. A resolution will come, but it will tend to come slower and with more setbacks the more you try to rush it.

Aikido is something that a person does -- it's not something that a body does. I step onto the mat with people whose bodies (and minds) have all kinds of wear and tear on them. From the fact that you mentioned it, I'm guessing you're rather proud of your 70 hours. Now you get to learn that it's not about how many hours you've got on your attendance sheet or how many techniques you know. It's not about having the perfect body or the perfect mind, either. Striving to improve is great, but not if you delude yourself into believing that you can be perfect. You do aikido with the body and mind you have, or you don't do it at all.
Sorry for boasting, I hate it and always fear of sounding baggy. I have a bit of trouble with the mind too, I have body dysmorphic and struggled with bulmina, after losing 104 lbs healthy, it only became bad and unhealthy at maintenance, where I see the loose skin as fat despite being at a low, healthy body fat. Just saying, because I'm an extreme perfectionist, you're right, I am with my coin magic as. A magician , and though its gotten me far and advanced, but its taken quite a toll on my mental state. Thanks for the wise words. Hope this works out and one day... I can return, rusty yes, but hopefully not forgotten everything as I was on day one I started aikido, hope really, that's no the case.