View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #76
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: More on Aikido and the Floating Bridge of Heaven

Quote:
Lee Price wrote: View Post

I really enjoyed reading your posts...beautifully written..

I was a bit surprised by your pulsing video and went off to try it just for fun. I don't get why you would want to knock yourself backwards though or what benefit there is to that? I don't move position but tanden and other things will adjust to keep me stable in the same position.

I'm guessing it's the wall that should be moving...be difficult to do though ^^
Thanks, Lee. I appreciate that.

I read the get-off-the-wall problem posted as a test of how you were organizing your body: can you get yourself off the wall without stepping or jumping, from straight-arm distance from the wall with straight legs. How do you get yourself away from the wall? was the question as I remember it.

Lately, I've really been aware of aligning the "three dantiens" and I felt my body automatically correct that alignment recently, which made me think about some other connections in my body and I suddenly felt a capacity to transfer large amounts of energy with minimal effort. I thought, "I'll bet I could bounce myself off a wall with this." But I wasn't thinking of that old challenge. It was just an idea that suddenly hit me and then I remembered that it had been posted as a challenge a couple of years ago, maybe on the Baseline Skills thread or Teacher Test...

Which makes me think it might be a stage of development of IS skills where you realize you can do this.

Of course, it's related to fa jing, in the Chinese arts and development of IS/aiki in the Japanese style.

You can do it with all your power going into the wall, but unless the wall breaks, the power has to come back into you and the more power you put into it, the more will rebound into you. Something has to give.
I realized that improper alignment of the dantiens would drive the rebound into my lower back and cause injury. And a certain alignment will make you able to deliver your maximum power to the wall. And I think that will be more than your body will be able to ground agains a truly immoveable object. One of you has to lose ground or your body will be injured.I've heard this is why you see tai chi guys hop away from the partner in push hands. They felt that the other guy's power would hurt them if they tried to absorb it and rather than really being driven away, they unground themselves and let the force sort of bounce them up and away without harm.

On the other hand, if you're pushing a moveable object, like a human being--and especially one that is unbalanced and slightly ungrounded....you can really ground yourself and put a high percentage of your potential power directly into driving him a pretty good distance. And it's possible to do that without hurting him. Or you could focus the power into him or drive him down hard.

And I think this getting off the wall problem is a recognized stage in the process of developing that kind of power.

Now what I'm looking at is doing it with as little movement as possible, to see how much I can do it with pure intent.

Does that explain it better?

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.davidorangejr.com