View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark
Re: Aiki vs useless waza ?

Quote:
Lee Salzman wrote: View Post
The grand irony of this is it is all backwards, it's sort of like asking: If you've never done math, how can you even begin to understand math if there is no calculus and only learning how to count or do arithmetic? Look at how most Chinese martial arts conducts learning: body skills, how to move, are primary. Only once the body understands how to move, so that the students' mind is not scattered in a hundred directions just trying to take a step, just trying to hold a defensive stance, just trying to throw a punch, etc. do you even begin to learn to techniques, to learn to fight, etc. I'm not just talking about how to do irimi or tenkan, or how to take a fall, I am talking about how to move, like everything down to the way you wiggle your toes or point your fingers. When that is at a subconscious level done correct, then you do waza. Why is it that aikido has decided it is proper to go the other way, trying to teach waza when a beginner can't even stand upright in-place correctly?
I like your observations.
From my experience itīs possible to learn techniques- maybe not perfect the first couple of years-
but gradually over time all the small adjustments you are talking about falls into place.
In a way I feel basic understanding of our motory skills from the outset are more important than understanding aiki from the outset.
Sooner or later awase will emerge by itself as a consequence of training.
I donīt believe awase is something that can be taught and learned in 6-12 months.