View Single Post
Old 10-15-2002, 11:38 AM   #39
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Re: Re: Re: Turning Out of Shihonage

Quote:
Andrew O Byrne (andrew) wrote:
1)--if a beginner spins out in a way that gives you the choice of letting them go or injuring them, you're going to have to let them go and neither of you gains anything.

2)--Shihonage is a potentially lethal technique if it works well. If it does not, then you may well be caught out with your back to your attacker mid turn. They're both good reasons to prefer Ikkyo.

3)--Also, if you've developed good technique you don't need to "make it so much nastier than it is in the dojo"

1--Excellent point and I agree with a caveat: As often noted here and elsewhere, training can become fetishistic, i.e., divorced from real actions/reactions through convention ("A real attacker would do such and such" as opposed to the person in front of you...) Beginners, through ignorance, dispense with these distractions (e.g., "good" UKEMI) and give you a chance to practice against something more natural, if unsophisticated. Obviously, care must be taken not to hurt them while using their untutored reactions, as Mr. Rice says, "Clued him in once I was done gently experimenting with his elbow ;-)"

2--For most of my aikido training, I've avoided SHIHO NAGE as it struck me as being so dangerous (I'm taller than most of my UKE). I was always changing into HIJI NAGE or IRIMI NAGE. I'm now working through the difficulties of the technique, but I still find that I need lots of ATEMI to get UKE properly aligned for it.

(In my scheme of things, aikido obtains on a continuum with lots of pounding on one end, and "no touch" technique on the other. Thus, I remain unsatisfied with need to batter UKE into position rather than use motion, KUZUSHI, and angles to do it.)

3--Have you personal experience/anecdotes in this regard?

Thanks.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/