View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States
Re: 097) Aikido Practice- Collusive? Cooperative? Competitive?: October 2012

Where I maybe part company with you is in the use of the term "collusive." "Collusive" has a connotation of devious or underhanded which "cooperative" does not. I see collusion on the mat as always a problem.

It's particularly a problem because it's so easy for cooperation to shade into collusion. If we're all working on something subtle, and I'm giving good, sensitive feedback as uke--where's the line between responding sensitively and amplifying what my partner is doing to the point where my feedback is bogus? Or if I'm working with a junior who just isn't getting it and so I start moving in the right direction so he'll at least get the feeling for where he's trying to move me, have I colluded in giving him a false sense of success? Or if we're working with punches, are we colluding in fooling each other because we don't set up a combination and connect with the second punch if our partner hasn't dealt with the first is a way that prevents it?

This is the issue with training. It takes ongoing vigilance to make sure that we haven't drifted off to happy fantasy land.

Evolution doesn't prove God doesn't exist, any more than hammers prove carpenters don't exist.