View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
aiki-jujutsuka

Re: Process or Result

well as a practitioner of Aiki-Jujutsu I feel that I am walking a similar path to O'Sensei. I know O'Sensei practised and taught Daito-Ryu Aiki-Jujutsu but nevertheless Dentokan Aiki-Jujutsu traces its lineage back to Daito-Ryu the same as Aikido. The very fact that I am learning an art that still bears much similarity to Daito-Ryu AJJ leads me to hope that if ever I chose to take up Aikido seriously later in life then I will have undertaken a similar journey to O-Sensei himself; a journey that will hopefully have been a process of personal growth, martial effectiveness and in a more modest way transcendence, martially speaking, like O'Sensei.

As I am still a kyu grade, I feel my journey in AJJ is not yet complete; I do hope to one day become an experienced Yudansha (ideally Sandan or Yondan) before I feel I would have the same level of training and experience O'Sensei had before developing Aikido. Perhaps my path will be different, perhaps my path is to cross-train only in Aikido (I do like the idea of teaching in my own Dentokan dojo). But I am open to the possibility that my own journey will mirror that of O-Sensei more fully.