Thread: abusive sensei
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #16
lbb
United_States
Re: abusive sensei

Quote:
Andrew Macdonald wrote: View Post
first of all on my choosing the word abusive, to me the situation i saw fitted that a perosn of authority purposely inflicting pain to those beneath him, with the underlying promise that if they take the pain then he'll teach them more. this is just me idea not a dictionary defininition and i apologise if anyone is sensetive to that particular word
Hi Andrew,

I don't think there's any problem with your definition; my point was just that, in the interest of having a useful discussion, we need to know what that definition is. We need to know what you mean when you use the term "abusive" (and now we do).

As I said before, I'm not a practitioner in the field, but I believe one element of abuse is that it seeks out victims who lack the tools to escape it. An experienced martial artist would look at an abusive sensei, say "that's abusive", and vote with their feet. A newbie with the right kind of life clues would do the same. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't fit into either of those categories. I think that the surest cure for abuse is to interrupt the supply of potential victims, but I'm not sure how you can do that in this case.