View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #31
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States
Re: Bokken Sparring- Chushin Tani Aikidojo

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
But sword fighting doesn't really fit into our world now.
Sword fighting in and of itself may not "fit" into the world now but the skills it teaches, IMO, does.

[
Quote:
First off, no nonmilitary personnel living in a civilized country could sword fight for very long. The authorities would put them behind bars before they got much "practice" in. And while theoretically a modern soldier could possibly carry around his sword, and "practice" with it, it probably wouldn't go over too well.
If done on the street in a non-structured venue absolutely. No different than a person taking their pistol and having target practice in their back yard or some random parking lot.

Quote:
That leaves you with sword sparring. This either leads us to a sport practice, that is mostly only interested in itself. Or a contrived practice that may hopefully give us some small insight into what sword fighting was.
I could be off mistaken so someone with more knowledge please feel free to correct me. I would think that back when "sword fighting" was the preferred method of combat those combatants didn't just pick up their shiken and "practice" fighting with one another. I would imagine that they used bokken without armor. Just a guess on my part, I could be wrong.

Quote:
becoming a sword fighter isn't my goal, learning about Aikido is. So hopefully a sword sparring practice might give me some small insight into those aspects of Aikido.
I agree that sword training will give some insight into aspects of Aikido, if it is trained properly.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru