View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
NagaBaba

Re: Bokken Sparring- Chushin Tani Aikidojo

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Not to be rude, but have you done Kendo?

I have, it's worlds different. Not in a bad way, it's just apples and oranges. Here are a few very quick differences:

Bokken instead of Shinai
The addition of grappling (modern Kendo doesn't include this)
The person being hit decides what hits were valid or not, there are no refs or judges
We all study Aikido and not Kendo (well some of us do both)

So there are a few quick differences, there are many more. So I guess my return question is, why do you ask?
Hi Chris,
I've been doing a lot of weapons last 20 years, also outside of aikido, so I'm always curious of new forms of weapons training. For the moment I can't find anything that I can use to fully develop weapons work in my dojo, for many reasons (some compromises you mentioned already..) (However Dog Brothers metodology looks interesting, isn't it?)

My question was in the context of your goals and relation to the methodology you are using. You are using the same protection zones as Kendo is using, also the same type of attacks are allowed. What your method can develop that can't be done with Kendo training?

Regarding grappling, I propose not to discuss it here; my remarks may easily offend you

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo