View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #16
MM
United_States
Re: Bokken Sparring- Chushin Tani Aikidojo

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
For example, if your goal is very simple and general like, " I want to get good at sword fighting". You do this by practicing sword fighting- you fight with swords. How are you going to accomplish that in a reasonable/sustainable way? You're not- sword fighting is inherently dangerous
and

Quote:
If your goal is actual sword fighting itself, this cannot be done. I would guess this is what you are talking about when you say "realistic". You are NEVER going to realistically recreate sword fighting by doing a sparring practice in a Dojo; unless you're using real swords, fighting each other with the intent to kill. That is not sustainable, so we have to make concessions.
Then

Quote:
Our goal is not to actually learn how to fight with a sword. We are simply recreating many of the types of situations that might happen in a sword fight
So, let me get this straight. You're stating unequivocably that you can't recreate sword fighting. Yet, you turn around and state that you are recreating the types of situations that might happen in a sword fight ... of which, you don't know what that's like, at all, because you cannot recreate it.

And then, state that some train in kendo, which, from what I understand, is not the same as kenjutsu. In essence, the recreation is done based upon something not like kenjutsu (something which would be closer to a "sword fight") and which you agree that a "sword fight" can't be recreated but yet you are recreating types of situations in a sword fight ... of which you can't recreate. Do I have that right? Sorry, that just made my head spin.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for sparring/randori/etc. I think it's a necessary training requirement. It's just that your logic completely escapes me.

Quote:
and learning how Aiki might appear in these situations.
IMO, I'd have said, how Modern Aikido principles might appear in these situations. When high ranking kendoka appear wanting to learn "tai sabaki" from an aikido person, then I might say, how aiki might appear in these situations.

Until then, I think Meik Skoss said it best about weapons and aikido ...