View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #15
Young-In Park
Re: Senpai You Can't Respect

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
I'll give a general update after I respond to a few people first whose posts were interesting.
I'm sorry you didn't find my post interesting...

Quote:
Sensei has directly stated in a black belt class to me and the others attending that rank is not based solely on hours on the mat or skill. That a big part to his is time in the dojo. This was directly caused by a few black belts asking Sensei why my rank was so low without my knowledge. (Despite my grips here I don't mention my annoyance with the social rank thing to people in the dojo- including new people who directly ask me about me about it.) I have had a member of the testing board at the dojo tell me directly that I should have tested with the last round of people; he taught me more in my first few months than anyone and for him to say that really helped.
Your sensei has clearly started that rank will be based on factors other than experience or skill. And as you've said before, you're unwilling to participate in dojo politics. Hence, your rank is commensurate with your perceived personal developement.

Others on this thread view your "rants" as being petty and unwilling to engage in introspection. While you may be accomplished technically in the art, staying with the dojo will provide you an opportunity. If you fly under the radar, you'll be able to witness the cult of personality (shihan/sensei/sempai is always right) and the magic of popularity (its not what you know, its who you know).

Otherwise, as I've said before, its probably time to change dojos or practice a different martial art altogether.

YoungIn Park

PS hopefully this post was more interesting.