View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
aiki-jujutsuka

be thankful for wisdom

Something very tragic happened over the weekend in my local area. One of the students at the school I work at was stabbed to death at a house party. He was only 17. Apparently it was advertised via social media and there were many gate crashers. An argument broke out over alcohol and he eventually was bottled and then stabbed. I am unsure whether it was with the broken bottle or with a knife. Over the last three weeks or so I have been training quite intensely in knife defence for my next grading. This incident made me reflect and be thankful for the wisdom that I have gained from my training.

As a teenager I went to several house parties but they were always quite affairs by comparison, no gate crashers just friends. I don't drink either (straight edge) so I had the advantage of being sober. But as I thought about this poor lad who was fatally wounded all because of an alcohol induced argument and the foolishness of it all, it really makes me appreciate the wisdom that I have learnt from the martial arts. If only more young people were aware of the dangers and had the wisdom to avoid such situations.

I'm sure there are many other examples of this kind of tragedy but just be thankful for the principles and wisdom that we have learnt from our arts and teachers. It really is true that budo is the art of peace - to have the knowledge of the consequences of our actions and know how to prevent violence and death wherever possible.