View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #24
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Elegance

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
Nature created man so by all that man creates is natural. Logic can be elegant in the eyes of some.

The SR-71 is (was) used for recon and has precious little payload space for weapons. Only a few were refitted to carry external drones which may have been weapons ... weapon of mass destruction it is not.

Elegance and ignorance may well be strange bedfellows. I prefer to steer clear of the latter.
Well offence and defence can be considered a product of range,. A fighter aircraft is a defensive weapon whereas recon can be considered the eyes of an offensive force. However, the SR-71 is elegance personified - that is just one beautiful/elegant design.

Anyway I think the key word for elegance is simplicity. Minimal movement delivering maximum effect and that pretty much matches the wikipedia definition. I have seen some Aikido demonstrations that had all sorts of extras that destroyed any sense of elegance and some brutally simple moves that were the height of elegance. Strangely (or perhaps not) the most elegant moves I've seen were in unscripted randori whereas human nature being what it is - the concept of elegance was destroyed with the martial flourish in demonstrations. This I think is true in Judo, Karate, name your flavour.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido