Old 08-31-2012, 02:50 AM   #35
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Re: How to Turn

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post
I won't spend any more time on this.

This is a discussion thread about a column called How to Turn. I know because I wrote it. In the comments someone made a categorical statement that was obviously wrong. I pointed that out.

I don't understand why you keep trying to defend something that was wrong. And when I point out an error it's deliberately taking this over-literally? But when you pointed out an error yesterday it was OK? That's hypocrisy.
I think that the two case are somewhat different, but that's just my opinion.

As for Mark's statement - well, "never" may be an overstatement, if you interpret his post very literally, but I don't believe that he meant that to be the case.

Nevertheless, I think that his basic point, the conjunction of opposing forces, was entirely relevant, especially in the context in which it was being used - the use of the body in general and with regards to turning specifically.

Quote:
I have not discussed fire and water except in some blog posts. For example, wind forest fire mountain. I certainly have never said they should not be paired together or that they are not important. So if you want to discuss them in the context of How to Turn please do. Otherwise start a different thread.
I think that Fire and Water in the above blog are a little different than what I had in mind, and from the context that Ueshiba uses.

The original post by Mark actually brought them up specifically discussing them in reference to turning, but you didn't seem interested in discussing it:

Quote:
If you believe that going forwards means simultaneously going backwards I wish you luck. You obviously need it.

The idea that Morihei Ueshiba didn't speak of ka without mi is nonsense. Ka is a letter of the Japanese alphabet as well as a word in Japanese with several meanings. It is used in hundreds of compound words that do not contain mi.
It was that response that I was addressing. If you would like to discuss Mark's post in the context of How to Turn please do. Otherwise maybe it would be a better idea to start a different thread about how you disagree with the fundamental assumptions behind the post.

Best,

Chris