View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #131
Keith Larman
United_States
Re: Aikiweb as a "Big Tent"

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
Let's not forget to give credit where cerdit is due. Mr. Tennenhouse did in fact show up to walk his talk.
Oh, of course, he did show up. I think he was sincere although quite evasive about his experience and training. But I do think he sincerely believed what he was saying. It just didn't work out when he finally got on the mat with others and crossed hands.

So I do give him credit for that aspect. I also give him credit for the fact that he stopped posting. Maybe he's still out there grousing about it, but in the end I think it worked out. By all account in person he didn't know what he was doing and was out of his depth.

So going back I think those who challenged him on-line, those who engaged him, those who said "Now wait a minute..." were vindicated in a sense. Some things you just can't leave alone. I do agree with Dr. Goldsbury's quote about timing, but I also think that sometimes the time is now. With silly stuff, with insignificant stuff, with stylistic stuff, nah, no reason to comment. There are many fluffy posts here that I don't post to because a) huh? and b) obviously since I don't get it I shouldn't post. But when I *do* "get it", I do know the terms, I do know what they're saying, and what they're saying is absolutely contrary to what I think I know, well, that sometimes requires a follow-up. And I think sometimes it gets to a point where you have to say "No, that's just stupid. It's not what the word means. It's not what the man said. You can't just make things up to fit the world you want to have."

Tennenhouse tried to walk his talk. He didn't get very far. Others are much happier pontificating from behind a monitor as I am now. But since some will continue to pontificate endlessly from the relative anonymity others will feel compelled to say "Now hold on there a minute, sparky..." when things get a little too far away from reality. Which is as it should be even if it is uncomfortable for the guests.