View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #125
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: Aikiweb as a "Big Tent"

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
Agreed, but sometimes quick definitions, though vague, are sufficient to move the conversation along.

Agreed, so why are accusations of bozohood so common?

I think a significant part of the problem is that people feel like their teachers and their particular approaches to aikido are being attacked by people who have *not* taken the time to come train with them in person and/or who are trying to accomplish completely different things.

If I bake a blueberry pie, I might be open to comments about the crust. I might even be interested in discussing the relative merits of blueberry vs. huckleberry or mixed berry pies. But it would be really annoying if a bunch of people stomped into the kitchen and (without tasting the pie) told me I should be making a chocolate cake instead.

I'd also be pretty upset if my feeble protestations about the deliciousness of blueberry pie were met by a demand that I travel somewhere (on my own time, at my own expense) to demonstrate the merits of blueberry pie in front of a roomful of chocolate cake lovers. Never mind that I've never said a bad word about chocolate cake, and just want some peace and quiet to enjoy my pie.

Katherine
Katherine:

I agree with you that people should refrain from attacking other people's teachers in major public venues, more so by people with no first hand knowledge. The problem is made worse when we place our teachers on pedestals and get too touchy about anything neutral or negative said about them. People can say whatever they would like about my teacher. He's a big boy and can handle his affairs nicely without my assistance......

Now chocolate and blueberry happen to be a great pairing in my book!

Regards,

Marc Abrams