View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #52
JW

Re: ki testing...emphasis on both uke and nage getting stronger

Hi all, good to see aikiweb is keeping lively! Does anyone know what the "Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido Competition" was/is?

It was created by Tohei (see below). I got the impression that it was NOT the "taigi" competition (where techniques are shown), but rather more of a "competitive ki testing" event. Is that true? At any rate, as you can see from the quote, Tohei did indeed think that competition could motivate improvement. Why would someone who knows the downside of competitions (as shown in the quote) want to create such an event? My bet is he recognized that one's development would always be limited if training was entirely restricted to cooperative training.

In other words, to help make his students stronger and improve their mind-body coordination, Tohei thought it would be good to do things involving competition.

Quote:
Aikido prohibits matches because matches are concerned with the issue of winning or losing. There would be no problem if matches were not about victory and defeat, but rather about how much we can unify the mind that we have been given by heaven and earth to discover our fullest potential as human beings. With this in mind I established what we call the Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido Competition, an event not for displays of circus-like techniques or other curiosities, but rather an opportunity to test this mind-body unification that anyone has the potential to attain. This event is not limited to Ki Society members; anyone can participate. But those unable to unify their mind and body won’t get very far in the competition
source:
http://members.aikidojournal.com/pub...oichi-tohei-2/