View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium
Re: Might Isn't Right, But Strong Isn't Wrong

Hello,

being something short of 60 kg, easy to unbalance and easy to throw - at the degree that more solid people insist I anticipate their throws, but I'm just too early off my balance - I'd be the first person who acknowledges the importance of strength. Maybe not at some super-advanced level, but for the normal mortal, who struggles with how to do shiho nage correctly, it is certainly a difference to have a lightweight who flies at the first touch or to have a super-solid guy grounded firmly.

I'm aware that all techniques seem to work with people my weight and lower, but with the weight and strenght of ukes increasing, my technique more and more frequently fails. If kaiten nage or ten chi nage works with a 90 kg guy this means I really did it well (usually don't); if it works with a 45 kg girl it just means I'm stronger than her.

Obviously strength is not the ONLY issue, but I'd never ever believe anyone who'd say that physical strength is not an issue - at least for beginner level, God knows what comes when enlightenment and understanding increase, but I'm still far from that...

This said, there is always a satisfaction in things like nikkyo and sankyo, where physical strength and weight really are just of no importance...

All the best,

Eva