View Single Post
Old 07-10-2012, 02:20 AM   #5
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Aiki in MMA

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
Yeah he is pretty good. michael, can you provide some clips or examples of where he demonstrates aiki? As I have stated in the past the top guys in BJJ I contend get it, if they cannot verbalize or teach it, they have some abilities, IMO. So no doubt I agree, but just wondered how you make that assessment for discussion or argument as we like to do here!
Hey Kevin,

I'll get on YouTube and see if I can find them (the UFC pulls a lot of this stuff), but off the top of my head, I would say his fight against Forrest Griffin, his second fight against Yushin Okami, and his most recent fight against Chael Sonnen have very clear and distinct usage of aiki.

Now, let me say that my definition of aiki may be different from some other posters on AikiWeb.

To me aiki is a relational skill; one in which you can produce appropriate and non-random action in response to and cloaked by the opponent's intention/commitment.

Maybe what I am talking about is just his perceptive abilities, but Anderson displays a level of mastery that is rare.

He has many other attributes that make him a great fighter as well. And he sure seems to hit hard!

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki