Re: A word on Time Trained and Ranking

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Ukemi? Non-essential?
I don't think he said that.

I would take more exception to the

Quote:
Philip Zeplin-Frederiksen wrote wrote:
From the get-go, I wanted to eliminate some of the "non-essential" tasks (things that aren't really "special" to the art, or require personal teaching to get.
Both Kamae and Ukemi can be very specific to dogo/teacher. One of the most difficult parts of dojo hoping (or just visiting local dojos during your travels) is Kamae.

Tomiki famously does not have it, Yoshinkan can be very specific and very different from Aikikai. In my opinion is not something you pick up from looking at the pictures.

Ukemi also varies tremendously. With slapping and without, backwards ukemi or no backwards ukemi. Same hand as foot leading, different, etc.

In Japan the best training I found was always physically exhausting. I felt it (during my returns, especially in summer) and I saw it with every visitor even with those who already train in Aikido. Legs are the worst.

What I would do is take the month and start running. Run at least 1 hour mixing in sprinting, backwards running, sideways running, frog hopping at particular points. Then when you get to Japan look at everything fresh. Empty glass on all that.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido