View Single Post
Old 07-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #20
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: Vetting Our Skills

Quote:
David Ringle wrote: View Post
This year I did some cross training with a judo group and I made some interesting discoveries about my skills. As nervous as I was about taking ukemei from guys who purport to like to throw hard I found my break fall skills were more than up to it. More than that I found that the guys in this class had a very difficult time throwing me. In randori even the sensei had to gas me out before he could start tossing me around. My aikido training had been pretty effective in this respect.
I haven't noticed a lot of difference between people with and without aikido backgrounds in their ability to avoid being thrown, pinned or submitted in judo randori/bjj rolling.

Quote:
The thing that really surprised me was that I found myself unable to throw any of them very well. Yup, after the better part of a decade on the aikido mat I found I couldn't effectively throw judo green belts. When I analyzed my performance a little the reason was actually very simple. I had never prepared to throw someone who doesn't want to fall.
What are you going to do to solve this?