View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #25
mrlizard123
Dojo: Templegate Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: Should I Re-Start Aikido?

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
You have to change your life style, diet and this under control of certified dietician. So I see it as a first step. Then, you may consider starting very light running every day, also following advices qualified coach.
I'm not convinced you need to pay someone to help you lose a stone of weight or so; you may want to and it may be helpful, but it's by no means required that you have a certified dietician or have a qualified coach to try and eat healthily and do some exercise.

The suggestion that Aikido will not help you lose weight makes a lot of presumptions on the person in question and the dojo they are planning on training at.

The question isn't "should I get back to training as a weight loss and fitness programme" it was "should I get back to training" with the additional question of "will being out of shape be a problem?". My answers are "Yes, if you want to or think you want to. You are free to change your mind at any time." and "Not necessarily; it depends on how you approach your training on the mat and possibly off of it as well if you feel like it's necessary or you wish to."

Good luck

Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile